Friday, October 22, 2010

Growing Up and 'Growing Out' of the Toy Phase

When my kids were younger, I absolutely loved going to Toys R Us and shopping for Christmas.  There were so many great options to choose from and I loved the look on their faces when they opened their gifts on Christmas morning.  Now that they are getting older (and I am too), the thought of going to Toys R Us does not excite me anymore.  They have aged out of many of the toys and now are mainly into electronics.  My son still loves Legos and my daughter still enjoys art supplies, but outside of these choices I am really struggling with what else to put under the tree.

I recently had a discussion with my daughter about the practicality of buying toys.  She had two gift cards from her birthday and I offered a suggestion that she might want to consider spending her money on clothes and shoes instead of toys.  At first, she was a little confused, but when I explained how little she plays with the toys she already has at home she began to see my point.  She loves clothes and shoes, so it was a good choice for her.

I don't want to sound like a Scrooge and make it sound as if I will not be buying my kids toys this year for Christmas, because believe me I know I will still be looking for some items to complete my list.  However, I think the time has come when I am realizing that gifts that are more meaningful and personal are even more special.  These gifts are the ones that can be treasured over time and not be tossed aside when the latest and greatest new toy comes along. When I look back on the early years of my children's lives and those special Christmases, I do not regret all the toys I bought and the enjoyment they brought.  However, I also do not regret their timely removal via Goodwill or consignment sales either :)

I think the realization now that they are growing up has hit me hard this year.  I want to hold onto each memory.  This year my Christmas gift list will be filled with Wii and DS games for sure, but I am adding some personal unique gifts as well.  These are the gifts that I hope they will treasure, I know I will.

What are your thoughts on Holiday giving for children?  Do you have any special traditions that you would like to share?

If you would like to add a special gift to your list this year that will brighten up your child's room and become a treasured keepsake, make sure you check out our website for some great ideas.  We specialize in unique items such as hand-made wall letters, personalized step stools, and customized wall decals.

Personalized Step Stools

Custom Wall Decals

Custom Wall Decals

Hand-Made Wall Letters

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!!I'm from West Loop Homes, just want to get some suggestions my twin kids were turning three and planning to buy some gifts.
    Do you have any suggestions what items will i going to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids Decor
    Awesome post! Interesting info to know.It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply knowing about these mistakes can help when scouting your next mattress purchase, whether it ends up being one of the models here at Natural Mattress, or a cookie-cutter innerspring mattress on sale at one of the national chains. best truck mattress

    ReplyDelete